cockpit tent

Discuss Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 17

Moderator: sal

lstapper

Re: cockpit tent

#11 Post by lstapper » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Just got back from using the tent in the Salish 100, a six day cruise in puget sound. The tent held up well in the wind and I was able to pitch it and use it under a variety of conditions. overall positive. The only issue is that the front and back door of the tent are designed to be closed when the tent is flat on the ground, so they dont close fully when its functioning. It was not a problem for the trip but in a situation with serious rain and wind i think it would be.

sal

#12 Post by sal » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:45 pm

Hi Istapper,

Thanx for the update.

How was the cruise? How did the boat perform?

sal

lstapper

#13 Post by lstapper » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:28 am

The cruise went really well. Winds and sea were mild. I used the Genoa most of the time. There was one day of no wind and all motoring, one day of all sailing, and the rest were about half and half. The boat sailed well and was a lot of fun, even when weighted down with extra food, water, gear and gas. I friend of mine came along as crew, and I was worried the boat would just be two small for two people on an event with six overnights. Arrangement was one person in the cabin and one sleeping in the cockpit with boards across the middle and the tent up. It worked out well and both of us felt there was adaquate room. Given the positive experience I am planning to do more of this type of cruise.

sal

#14 Post by sal » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanx for the input. One of these days we'd like to design a modern tent for the sailboats. Even thinking about a tent for the SageSport 160.

A tent really opens up the options.

sal