Ideas for the interior

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

scoob

#41 Post by scoob » Wed May 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Sea Sprite wrote:I don't see a scenario where seating for two, modeled on the S17 interior configuration
as you noted Bernard the M15 & S17 storage is under the aft end of the v-berth port and starboard of the potti and under the forward end of the cockpit.

aft facing means you have move out all the stuff under the v-berth to make 'butt room' and all the stuff under the forward end of the cockpit to make foot room.

center facing seats, like the S17, means the v-berth and under cockpit storage isn't 'needed' so no need to shuffle all your stores.

to add to Sal's question is the issue of how many people sitting below for how long? will most folks cruise with one? meaning will 'two below seated' be needed for shorter periods when day sailing when the weather is poor (ex, raining)? or is two people cruising the primary use ... and the seating will be used often?

for me, cruising single (in this discussion Momma Kitty doesn't factor in), the seating on the S17 is much more comfortable and usable as i can sit in one seat and prop my feet up on the other bench. MUCH more comfortable than in my M17 (as she is a galley model so only one 1/4-berth) ... the S17 seat is also contoured (more comfortable) where the M17's 'seat' is a flat berth (butt cramp inducing).
--
:: Dave Scobie
::
::
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

kingco

#42 Post by kingco » Wed May 06, 2015 6:35 pm

I guess now is the time to cast final votes for the interior so this boat can get built! I personally love to sail (as I'm sure all on this forum do) with all my heart and will gladly sail rain or shine, alone or with a massive load of people. However, I find that I get the greatest enjoyment out of sailing with others. My wife loves to take sailing trips with me during the summers and my brother and I enjoy planning sailing adventures all through the year. I realize that some people mainly sail alone but I think it would be a mistake to build this boat with interior seating for only one person. Additionally, I believe that the smaller a boat is, the greater the importance simplicity is. It is still my opinion that convertible reclined seats/beds would add unneeded complexity (and possibly build cost) to this small interior. I feel that the above mentioned reasons would be enough to convince a majority of prospective buyers to desire the sage 17 styled interior, but knowing that most of the usable storage space would also disappear with an alternate interior seems to make the decision that much clearer. Please build the sage15 with the bright, simple, efficient and usable interior layout of the sage17. Just my opinion.

Meritt

#43 Post by Meritt » Wed May 06, 2015 7:24 pm

Since the opposable seat style still allows me to stretch my legs and put my feet up if I'm solo then I vote for simplicity plus storage

ferdjohns

#44 Post by ferdjohns » Thu May 07, 2015 7:59 am

If Jerry can get a v-berth with footroom for two moderately tall old guys and non-slouching sitting room for them as well in the Sage 17 layout, I'm great with that.

Ferd

sal

#45 Post by sal » Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 am

Thanx much for all of the input. We always like to talk to our customers when creating anything.

I must apologise for the delay in production, but we really don't like to cut corners, lower quality or do anything that might be inferior. Even after a model is in production, we employ CQI (Constant Quality Improvement) to improve. We've already made two changes to the Sage 17 molds.

I believe, and I'm sure Gail, Dave and Matt would agree that Jerry Montgomery is probably one of the best, if not the best small boat designer for what we are doing. His skill, experience and dedication to detail is not easily found and he is creating what we believe will be a optimal pocket cruiser. He's been working steadily on this 15 for a while, and we believe it will be worth the wait. Matt is getting ready to go out to Sacramento to assist Jerry in the final mold production.

We appreciate your input, patience and kind understanding.

sal

Sea Sprite

#46 Post by Sea Sprite » Thu May 07, 2015 12:22 pm

scoob wrote:center facing seats, like the S17, means the v-berth and under cockpit storage isn't 'needed' so no need to shuffle all your stores.
I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing how center facing benches in an M15 sized boat will be usable and/or comfortable- If they aren't reasonably comfortable, I would not compromise the interior by including them.

Guess I'll have to try 'em out when the boat is ready!

ferdjohns

#47 Post by ferdjohns » Thu May 07, 2015 4:22 pm

I agree, sea sprite. But I try not to load my small boats down with too much gear beyond the stuff needed for a safe cruise. I guess if I had to choose between really comfortable bunks and pretty comfortable seating below for two versus more dedicated storage bins I would go for the former. I typically pack a lot of my gear and clothes in separate small bags that are pretty easy to relocate in whatever space isn't being occupied by a body. A holdover from camp cruising days, I guess.

Ferd

Sea Sprite

#48 Post by Sea Sprite » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:32 am

Sea Sprite wrote:I guess I'm having a hard time visualizing how center facing benches in an M15 sized boat will be usable and/or comfortable- If they aren't reasonably comfortable, I would not compromise the interior by including them.

Guess I'll have to try 'em out when the boat is ready!
Well, having seen the new Sage 15 Sloop and Cat "in person" this past weekend and having had the opportunity to give them both a good, close look, and sit, I must say that I am very impressed with how the interior, which I was admittedly skeptical about turned out. the interior benches are both very usable and comfortable. I am above average in height and my doctor would probably advise that I loose a few pounds and I had no head or shoulder room issues whatsoever when seated below.

...the true test though- while I did not have an opportunity to sail the boat, I did observe it on the water from aboard a Sage 17 and the new S15 sloop is very clearly a fast boat. In moderate conditions, (12-15knts with gusts) Dave, sailing the boat, looked relaxed and very much in control. Looks like another great boat from this team!

Congratulations to Jerry and Sage Marine!

sal

#49 Post by sal » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Thanx much Bernard. It was a busy event for sure. Congrats on your 1st in class with Goshawk.

sal

Sea Sprite

#50 Post by Sea Sprite » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:08 pm

sal wrote:Congrats on your 1st in class with Goshawk.
Thanks Sal! Stan deserves most of the credit there! Always a pleasure to sail a Sage 17! Nice to see you and the gang at CC this year!