Ideas for the interior

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

ferdjohns

#31 Post by ferdjohns » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:43 pm

casioqv wrote:Great design Ferd, I would like to modify my M15 in this way also- so I can eat or read upright inside the cabin during bad weather. I'll wait to see what happens on the final S15, because I suspect an identical copy of the S15 system wouldn't harm the resale value.

The only downside I see is that if you have two people in the cabin, the one sitting can't face the one laying down to talk. It would be nice if the seated position faced towards the centerline instead of towards the stern, but there might not be room for that.
Casioqv

That is true. But I guess I should clarify (which my sketches did not, unfortunately) that I would envision there to be an aft-facing seat molded in on each side of the keel trunk; both sides would also be convertible to bunks. So you could sit up side-by side with a friend, and either hold hands or not, depending. In the case of some of the people I sail with (not my wife, of course) the fact that we were gazing out of the companionway, rather than staring at each other, would be considered a great advantage! I am 73, and have been "shot at and hit", as it were. Having two seats meets the design criterion of being able to sleep AND sit two adults comfortably below. Actually, the different design of the M15, with a centerboard trunk aft rather than the sloped keel trunk forward, might allow enough footroom to sit comfortably facing athwartships. But I would still worry that the sidedecks might force the lower seats pretty close together in that configuration. But all of this is just idle speculation, as I no longer have my M15, and only Jerry really knows what the dimensional constraints inside the new boat will turn out to be.

Best,

Ferd

ferdjohns

Sage 15 interior

#32 Post by ferdjohns » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:09 pm

sal wrote:Hi Ferd,

Thax much. Appreciate!

sal
Well, Sal, looks like a pretty dull thud on my interior concept, other than the very kind words by Meritt, Kingco and Casioqv. Hard to say what that deafening silence means.

I don't suppose it would be reasonable for Jerry to mock up both concepts (one each side?) inside the prototype before you guys make the final call?

Ferd

sal

#33 Post by sal » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi Ferd,

Silence from Jerry means he's still thinking.

We won't know too much until the deck mold is finished, he makes a deck and begins the liner,.

sal

Sea Sprite

#34 Post by Sea Sprite » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:11 pm

ferdjohns wrote:Well, Sal, looks like a pretty dull thud on my interior concept...
Your drawings get a thumbs up from me, Ferd. This was what I had in mind earlier when I suggested a layout similar to want was done on K. Prins' "Fetch" (as seen in SCA). I believe this is a good and efficient approach to sitting headroom/bench requirement on a '15 boat. For me, I don't ever see the need to seat two people below.

ferdjohns

#35 Post by ferdjohns » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:25 pm

Sea Sprite wrote:Your drawings get a thumbs up from me, Ferd. This was what I had in mind earlier when I suggested a layout similar to want was done on K. Prins' "Fetch" (as seen in SCA). I believe this is a good and efficient approach to sitting headroom/bench requirement on a '15 boat. For me, I don't ever see the need to seat two people below.
Yes, Sea Sprite, it was you I got the idea from. Or, I should more correctly say, from Prins through you.

Ferd

Sea Sprite

#36 Post by Sea Sprite » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:09 pm

I was very impressed with the layout of Fetch, for sure! Looked like it would work well in a small boat. I may have commented before but I think headroom, getting into and out of seating position and the view aft through an open companionway would be better with an arrangement like this in a 15' boat. This isn't to suggest that the side bench arrangement doesn't work in the S17 cabin. In the case of the S17, it works very well and I have found those benches to be very comfortable to sit on. My frame of reference for the smaller boat is the M15- while only a couple of feet in length separate them, the S17 seems to have a lot more volume.

I like the drawings you made, very nice!

sal

#37 Post by sal » Wed May 06, 2015 12:53 pm

We had this discussion again yesterday and much of the subject on the interior was storage area. If we make a convertible interior (Ferd's dwgs) we will lose most of the available storage in the cabin. SSOOooo, which is more valuable on a 15' pocket cruiser?

sal

catsailor

#38 Post by catsailor » Wed May 06, 2015 1:34 pm

sal wrote:We had this discussion again yesterday and much of the subject on the interior was storage area. If we make a convertible interior (Ferd's dwgs) we will lose most of the available storage in the cabin. SSOOooo, which is more valuable on a 15' pocket cruiser?

sal
STORAGE Area nuff said

ferdjohns

#39 Post by ferdjohns » Wed May 06, 2015 2:26 pm

sal wrote:We had this discussion again yesterday and much of the subject on the interior was storage area. If we make a convertible interior (Ferd's dwgs) we will lose most of the available storage in the cabin. SSOOooo, which is more valuable on a 15' pocket cruiser?

sal
If you can comfortably sit and sleep two cranky 70-plus, six foot-plus heterosexual male sailors below, I really don't care how you pull it off. But I won't sleep diagonally on a short cockpit bench in the chilly rain in the Pacific Northwest. Not anymore.

Ferd

Sea Sprite

#40 Post by Sea Sprite » Wed May 06, 2015 3:34 pm

sal
Hi Sal, are you asking us which is more important to have storage? or seating for 2 below?

Seating below, I believe will reduce storage bin volume in any case.

My vote would be convertible seating for one only - the opposite side would be the a storage bin.

I don't see a scenario where seating for two, modeled on the S17 interior configuration in a 15' boat is going to allow for more storage than the "convertible" arrangement. Side benches (where presumably the storage space would be) will need to be lower than the v-berth to allow for adequate headroom- and if there are removable lids forming the base bench seat, that brings up other possible (annoying) issues...

perspective: On my M 15, the longest stretch I have spent is probably three nights. Most of the time, when I overnight it is just one night- once per year at most these days. I use the cockpit locker and a large duffel bag in the cabin for storage. My port side interior bin is empty and the stb'd side contains my flare gun, dye marker, smoke, etc.