Ideas for the interior

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

kingco

#21 Post by kingco » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:54 pm

Wow, I just read my above post. Auto correct on my phone really makes me seem illiterate.

scoob

#22 Post by scoob » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:29 am

kingco wrote:Quick interior question for Sal or Jerry I was looking at pics of the interior of the sage 17 under construction (see photo in my above post) and noticed that the lapstrakes in the interior of the hull are filled in or made smoothing some way in the cabin part of the hull. How and why is this done? Aesthetics only or is there some function behind it?
the hull liner, besides being the cabin 'fixtures', goes up to the hull/deck joint. this provides a nice finished look (primary purpose). it also provides some insulation (secondary function).
--
:: Dave Scobie
::
::
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

kingco

#23 Post by kingco » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks for the answers Dave. It does give the interior a really nice and clean look!

sal

#24 Post by sal » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:08 am

Hi Ferd,

I just received your most recent interior sketches. Good ideas (as I've come to expect from you). Could I convince you to post them here so we can all discuss them?

sal

ferdjohns

#25 Post by ferdjohns » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Hello, Sal,

Gosh. OK, I'll need a day or so to neaten them up just a bit, and then ask my wife to help me figure out how to post them. I'm a real techno/klutz when it comes to computers. We have a scanner, so I suppose I need to attach them to a post, somehow. I expect "insert image" above will work?

Ferd

ferdjohns

#26 Post by ferdjohns » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Sage2.jpg
Sage2.jpg
Sage2.jpg
Sage2.jpg
sal wrote:Hi Ferd,

I just received your most recent interior sketches. Good ideas (as I've come to expect from you). Could I convince you to post them here so we can all discuss them?

sal
Sal

Well, here they are. In trying to respond to the comments about not wanting to manipulate large pieces in the cabin, I think the easiest solution is a hinged flat over the seat, with a simple removable piece as the after flat. The flats could be plywood with stiffeners, or fiberglass with stiffeners and/or foam core. The hinged flat over the seat folds to make a seat back, and the cushions would be sized to bridge the joints, and to allow the aft-most section to be rotated 90 degrees and used as a seat back cushion if desired. I know the cabin and deck have changed a bit from my trace of the earlier drawing by Jerry, but it looks like more than enough headroom and stretch-out legroom would be available for the tallest of us, plus the berth could be quite generous, even at the foot area.

The seat and forward berth flat design would appear to offer decent structural bracing opportunities for the keel trunk, but I'm not a naval architect or engineer.

Thanks for asking.

Best,

Ferd
Attachments
Sage3.jpg
Sage1.jpg
Sage4.jpg

Meritt

#27 Post by Meritt » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:11 pm

I like your drawings Ferd. I appreciate the asymmetric layout you propose. I like the idea of looking aft in a comfortable seat and one full size birth ready to climb into. Even still, the possibility is there to flatten out the whole thing in one big birth. As an overnighter, it’s mostly gonna be me going out for some alone time. Guess someone could always sleep under the stars in the cockpit too. Compromises have to be made and it’ll be a tough call for you Sage guys to do something “radical” like this but this has my vote. The rest of the ship already has me hooked so whatever you decide about the interior I appreciate. Wife and I are looking forward to the S15. Thanks Jerry and all the rest of you for what you’re building.

kingco

#28 Post by kingco » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Ferd, I like your interior drawings! I never would have thought of anything like that!! I can see how different sailing agendas lead to very different approaches to interior designs. Being that nearly all of my overnight sailing will be with my wife and small dog, I personally prefer the sage 17 styled interior. However I do appreciate your creative designs and as Merritt said, I'm already smitten with the boat and will be happy with whatever interior is chosen. But my vote is still for the simplicity of the sage 17 style interior.

sal

#29 Post by sal » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:41 am

Hi Ferd,

Thax much. Appreciate!

sal

casioqv

#30 Post by casioqv » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:20 pm

Great design Ferd, I would like to modify my M15 in this way also- so I can eat or read upright inside the cabin during bad weather. I'll wait to see what happens on the final S15, because I suspect an identical copy of the S15 system wouldn't harm the resale value.

The only downside I see is that if you have two people in the cabin, the one sitting can't face the one laying down to talk. It would be nice if the seated position faced towards the centerline instead of towards the stern, but there might not be room for that.