CV-19 and sailing.

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

noel

CV-19 and sailing.

#1 Post by noel » Sun May 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Sailing season should be in full swing by this weekend. But then, a different year with Covid-19. The marina was only opened to locals until the 20th of May. State Supreme Court overruled the Governor’s “stay at home mandate”. I guess things are open in WI. Vela’s first sail of the very cold waters of L. Superior was on April 30th. 2nd year in a row she was the first boat under sail out of the marina. Bit weird feeling. Normal years things get real busy. People working their boats on the stands or trailers or in their slips. Lift working continuously. This year nothing. One sailboat in its slip. Happens to belong to a sailing friend who lives within sight of the marina. It’s a bit of a contest to see who gets out under sail 1st. 2-0 record!. Even with things “open” there have been few boats on the water. Last Wednesday there were now 4 sailboats in their slips. +140 slip marina. Out on the water for ~7 hours I saw a total of 4 sails in area stretching from the North, West, South Channels and the Bay. +100 square miles of water and 5 sailboats. Some holiday weekends trying to count the sails is like trying to count the stars. Guessing not this season.

lstapper

Re: CV-19 and sailing.

#2 Post by lstapper » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:59 pm

I am getting really good at single handing the boat. I still see lots of people out, but they seem more willing to take risks on social distancing than I am. Sigh.

noel

#3 Post by noel » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Peak of tourist summer season. People escaping the heat and humidity inland. Our Cover-19 incidents have exploded. We have gone from "safe" to "hot spots". >10x the number of confirmed cases relative to before the 4th weekend. Lot of seasonal live aboards have kept their boats in storage. Guessing they are subleasing their slips. Based on the number of power boats in the slips. Avoiding weekends. Marina regulation. Masks are required unless on your boat. Signs posted everywhere. Discovered a major difference between boaters that sail v. power. Guess which population doesn't mask up? One of the marina staff noted that over the 4th weekend there was up to a 2hr wait to launch at the ramps. People from everywhere visiting this year. So far, noted license plates from 30 different states and one diplomatic plate while either driving, at the grocery store or library parking lot. I guess people are thinking it's "safe" up here. Hopefully things will thin out in September. One of the nicer months to sail. Better wind. Cooler days. Warmer water. Deeper colors.

Dale

#4 Post by Dale » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:31 am

Keep your chin up, try to stay positive, things almost certainly have to get better. Getting some sailing in here in Florida although with light summer winds. Had hoped to trailer the boat north for the summer, hopefully next year. Stay safe.

Stephen

#5 Post by Stephen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:54 am

Why are some recent posting dates showing as 2014? Our last sail on our lake, Lake Pleasant, AZ, here in "opposite world" was in April. The only ramp open, under Covid-19 operational guidelines, was a complete zoo. Has anyone else had this experience? While somewhat entertaining for anyone with rudimentary seamanship skills, it was too terrifying for a repeat performance. With all other forms of recreation and entertainment locked down, there were a lot of unskilled power boaters out. However, with cooling weather, a new season is upon us. I'll take the Pennant out tomorrow to check general conditions, and maybe salvage some hardware off a few abandoned wrecks. (Just kidding.) Stay tuned campers.

Stephen

#6 Post by Stephen » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Water level of Lake Pleasant is very low, and warm. Generally, they start it filling in early winter. The weather in the mornings and evenings is wonderful, with mid-day temps. still in the low hundreds. The one Regional Park ramp (south) is still the only one open, but it's not crowded most weekdays. Campgrounds and restrooms are open. There was a nice light breeze from the south during the morning. By noon it calmed to just an occasional "cat's paw". I left the 17 at home, and had the little boat out for a couple of hours. Nice outing.