The Sage 17 hull is hand-built with carbon fiber, fiberglass and vinylester resin in a lapstrake style for increased strength, tracking, and wave deflection.
Renowned boat designer, Jerry Montgomery is well known in the trailer sailor community from his pocket cruiser and dingy designs of the 1970s and 1980s. After a hiatus from the pocket cruiser building business, Jerry came back to develop the Sage 17 for Sage Marine.
The Sage 17 is sophisticated enough for an experienced sailor and simple enough for beginners. Designed to handle your adventures and get you home safely, the Sage 17 comes standard with a non-skid coating on all horizontal surfaces, a self-draining cockpit, transom mounted boarding ladder and a bow pulpit. Also standard is a kick-up mahogany rudder to help avoid blade or transom damage in the event of unexpected shallows. A cockpit mounted winch allows the centerboard to be raised and lowered quickly with ease.
The Sage 17 hull is hand-built with carbon fiber, fiberglass and vinylester resin in a lapstrake style for increased strength, tracking, and wave deflection. Her deck and house are built with hand-laid carbon fiber and a balsa core; this strong lightweight construction saves more than 100 pounds versus a conventional layup and allows for an interior with no compression post. The Sage 17’s Hull-to-Deck joint is chemically bonded and thru-bolted on 6” centers for strength and dependability.
A fractional 7/8 sailing rig with single spreaders, upper and lower shrouds, and an adjustable backstay provide exceptional sailing performance. Jib sheets run inside the shrouds allowing the Sage 17 to point higher into the wind and tack within 90 degrees. 520 pounds of lead ballast provides exceptional righting movement and at 1300 pounds total weight for a standard boat, the Sage 17 will sail quickly in light airs and provide confident sailing as the wind increases.
Finished with teak accents, you’ll enjoy a refined open and airy cabin. Enjoy obstruction free comfort in the adult-sized V-berth forward and comfortable seating for two just inside the companionway. Add your personal touch with cabin cushions that are offered in a variety of colors. Natural light pours in from four cabin and two companionway windows. An opening forward hatch provides ample ventilation. Storage abounds under the V-berth and in three large lockers in the cockpit. The cockpit is long enough to provide sleeping quarters for one adult. Winches and all running lines are accessible in the comfort and safety of the cockpit.
- Carbon fiber and vinylester deck with a balsa core
- Fiberglass and vinylester lapstrake hull with a carbon fiber/ balsa core transom
- Complete mast and stainless-steel standing rigging
- Single reef main and working jib, with all running rigging
- Internal halyards
- Cabin-top mounted winches and jib tracks
- Jib downhaul lead to cockpit
- Backstay adjuster and boom vang /preventer
- Pigtail snap to secure boom to backstay
- Custom mast step plate with seven attachment points
- Cockpit floor mainsheet traveler with upwind sheeting hardware
- Adjustable height outboard motor mount
- Transom boarding ladder
- Tiller extension
- Bow pulpit
- Oversized mooring cleats
- Teak trim and companionway drop-ins.
- Locking, weather resistant hatches and cockpit lockers.
- 3” Cloth (with vinyl backing) cushions for the V-birth
- Mast carrier
- Custom Galvanized trailer with spare tire
- Positive flotation
- Built-in bilge bump
- Genoa tracks and cars on toe rails
- Handrails (2 forward and 2 aft)
- DC electrical system (cabin and running lights, battery charger, 3 12-Volt power ports, masthead anchor light)
- Tiller clutch
- Thetford Porta Potti®
- Windex® 10 wind vane at masthead
- Cove stripe
- Boat name on transom or hull amidships
- Boat registration number
- Honda 2.3 HP long shaft outboard motor
- Trailer motor mount – Galvanized
- Trailer boarding ladder
- Boat storage cover
- Single-handed mast raising system
- Tri-color light at masthead
- Sail Covers
- Furling headsail
Preferred Sail Loft Credit – Sage Marine will credit our cost for the standard sail package if you prefer to use your own sail loft.
Custom Trailer will allow a Sage 17 to fit through a standard 7’ garage door opening. The trailer is valued at $3,500.00 and is custom-made for your boat. The trailer includes a fully galvanized frame, integrated tongue extension, 14” wheels, spare tire, and LED lights.
Sage Marine will build a boat to fit your sailing and cruising preferences. The items noted here are just a sampling of the most popular options for your Sage 17. We will be happy to provide you with a cost quote based on your preferences. Please contact us to discuss your pocket cruiser needs.
16 ft 10 in
|Length at Waterline||
15 ft 7 in
6 ft 9 in
|Draft (Centerboard Up)||
1 ft 9 in
|Draft (Centerboard Down)||
3 ft 6 in
3 ft 11 in
98 sq ft
|Sails (Working Jib)||
54 sq ft
65 sq ft
87 sq ft
|Sails (Storm Jib)||
16 sq ft
22 ft 6 in
|Masthead Height Above Waterline||
|Boat Weight (Approximately)||
655 – 755 lbs