End of the season.

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

noel

End of the season.

#1 Post by noel » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:45 pm

We have had couple days of gale force NE winds and cold rain. Leaves dropping like snowflakes in a Northwoods winter blizzard. Vela now sits sheltered from the elements. Glad I put Vela to rest last Friday. The last sail was close to a perfect day. Awesome autumn colors illuminated by shafts of light piercing through the broken clouds. Pure white caps forming in the dark grey-blue cold waters of Lake Superior with blinding bright scintillating light patches. Basically one long port tack from Washburn to LaPointe and one long starboard tack back home. Bit short of 19nm day. 49 days this season. Bit under 1100nm under sail.

Couple seasons of sailing the S15. JMHO, the right small boat for L. Superior sailing. Quick and simple boat to launch. Easy to sail single-handed. No issues with Superiors steep faced chop and waves. Sort of just bobbers over large swells. Fun to sail in 5kts or 25kts of wind. Solid boat, happy sailor.

Jerry

Re: End of the season.

#2 Post by Jerry » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:08 pm

Glad you had a good season, Noel, and REALLY glad you like the boat. As I've said several times, the SageCat is my favorite of all the boats I've done. Stiff, strong, and fast.

kingco

#3 Post by kingco » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:34 pm

Thanks for all your years of thoughtful design work and solid construction Jerry. I'm proud to own a SageCat and it has more than fulfilled all the roles that I had hoped it would play, both racing and cruising. I look forward to many more years of sailing adventures with my friends and family aboard Sweet Potato.

noel

#4 Post by noel » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:18 pm

Probably should have named Vela, Magnet.
Jerry’s design. Sage’s build. Attracts many people off and on the water.
Winter(snow on the ground) has arrived. 143-173 days until the beginning of the season.

Stephen

#5 Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm really sorry, but I don't know what you are all talking about. It's barely the beginning of the season...if you're in ARIZONA! The skies are blue. The weather is perfect. This year all our big lakes (Pleasant, Roosevelt, Havasu) water levels are highest in several years. Even Lake Powell, a day north of here, is up a bit. So yawl come on down! (a little pun there)

Unfortunately, you cat boaters will have to bear with us as we suffer having only our Sage 17 to flounder about with. (kidding again)