D-PN, PHRF rating of the S15?

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

noel

D-PN, PHRF rating of the S15?

#1 Post by noel » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:18 pm

On paper hull speed of the S15 is ~5.2 kts( square root of LWL x 1.37). Old memory of the M15 D-PN = 106. PHRF = 306 based on the conversion formula of (D-PN - 55) x 6. Are the S15 rating the same, similar to the M15?

Jerry

Re: D-PN, PHRF rating of the S15?

#2 Post by Jerry » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:36 am

Noel- just noticed your question; I'd bet my last dollar that the Sage is a good notch faster. Three months later, have you crossed paths with an M-15? A couple of years ago, Dave and I sailed the sloop and the cat against each other at a small lake in CO; and couldn't agree on which boat was faster. I raced the prototype cat in a fleet that contained a well-sailed M-17, and both the M sailor and I agreed that the 17 was only the slightest bit faster, if any. We traded boats for one race, and he beat me! I think that the big difference between the S-15 and the M-15 is the keel; the Sage has a way more effective keel.

In a Portsmouth race I'd be very happy with a rating halfway between the M-15 and the M-17.

Jerry

#3 Post by Jerry » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:54 am

I just looked up the PHRF rating for the M-15, and it's 108.2. The last time I looked I think it was 108.6.

noel

#4 Post by noel » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:08 pm

Thanks Jerry for the reply. Not into formal PHRF racing. Actually not eligible to race during Bayfield’s Race Week or series race. Too “small” a boat BS. One design would catch my interest. Couple other single-handed sailors and I play a game of follow the leader. Vela is racing against boats that are on paper faster. But in certain conditions the S15 can hold a lead or stay more or less even.

Jerry

#5 Post by Jerry » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:57 am

it took me a couple of races to really get good with the cat; the initial problem was oversheeting upwind. Its been so long since I raced singlehanders seriously (M-10, Sabot, Kite, which was a great little boat popular in Newport Beach at the time) that I'd forgotten the ills of oversheeting, The boom should not come inside of the corner of the transom. The tendency it to sheet it as you would a sloop, which has a jib to create a slot and keep the flow over the lee side of the main attached. Big mistake; on a cat it will slow the boat down and create more leeway. Not really too much but enough to kill you in a race. Even tho the sail looks perfect, keep it out. it won't affect the angle of attack of the leach hardly, but will create more power. This is most importand in a drifter and decreases in importance in a blow.

Go get 'em.