cockpit tent

Discuss Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 17

Moderator: sal

lstapper

cockpit tent

#1 Post by lstapper » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Has anyone done a cockpit tent for their S17? I would like to do one for mine and it would be great to get experience & advice. The purpose of the tent is to facilitate sleeping in the cockpit overnight - protection from rain, bugs, and light when tied up to a dock (so not a boat cover). Ideally it would be like a back packing tent - with some hoops or supports that went over the boom to allow more head room. At this point I dont know if there is an existing tent that could be used or modified, or if I need to do a custom one. I am also wondering about the best way to attach the sides of the tent to the boat. Minimal or no modification of the boat is desired. I'm keen to know if anyone has looked into this.

thanks,
Lee

kingco

Re: cockpit tent

#2 Post by kingco » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:32 pm

A guy named wayne martin posted a pretty slick looking cockpit tent that seems to work rather easily on the montgomery sailboats facebook group page. it is a blackthorn 2 tube tent that seems to set up pretty easily and with minimal modifications and the tent is around 85 bucks on amazon. It could work on a sage 17. Become a member of the montgomery sailboats FB page and check it out. I'll try to post a screenshot of it but this forum does not like photos and only accepts really low resolution pics.

kingco

#3 Post by kingco » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 pm

fullsizeoutput_358.jpeg

sal

#4 Post by sal » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi 1stapper,

Welcome to our forum.

We've thought about it. Even designed a few. It's a volume thing.

Hi Kingco,

Thanx fr the info. Looks neat. Have you tried one? It would really open up the cabin for camping.

sal

lstapper

#5 Post by lstapper » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:45 pm

Sal:

After thinking about it and designing a few what was your conclusion? Feasible or not?

Kingco:

I plan to hack up a few tents trying to make this work. I will report tents and results to the fourm.

Thanks,
Lee

kingco

#6 Post by kingco » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi Sal,
I haven't tried this tent setup yet for myself. I'm considering picking up one of these tents to give it a try on my SageCat this summer in the San Juans. The SageCat has been a fantastic little cruising boat the past two summers for my wife and I (and our dog). I have lucked out with near perfect weather during my last two summer cruises up there but I'm sure this tent would make a rainy day on the boat much more enjoyable!

sal

#7 Post by sal » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi Kingco,

Thanx for the update. Glad you are enjoying your SageCat. It really is a nice little Yacht. We're just starting another one.

We had drawn up preliminary designs for a tent using camping style supports and having them snap into the cockpit. Maybe sometime in the future? We also thoght about one for the SageSport.

sal