Questions for Jerry Montgomery

Talk all things pocket cruiser.

Moderator: sal

Jerry

Re: Questions for Jerry Montgomery

#21 Post by Jerry » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Yes you can; I'd get a 6" hole saw, made for masonry or drywall, and cut a couple of holes thru the liner, down into the top of the keel. STOP instantly when you get into the ballast or you'll damage the centerboard trunk. Start chipping with a hammer and chisel, and it would help to drill a few holes first.

A question: Why would you want to?

JDS

#22 Post by JDS » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:59 pm

looking for spot to put batteries. Nissan leaf 48v battery pack. 160lbs.

Jerry

#23 Post by Jerry » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:31 pm

I'd put the batteries well forward, and not worry about the extra weight. Put the batts forward of the fwd bulkhead and you'll do fine.

kingco

#24 Post by kingco » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi Jerry, sorry for the novice question but when you speak of the forward bulkhead you are referring to the one forward of the keel trunk, about half way way through the v berth, right? Am I correct that in this forward most space is where the battery weight would best be placed?

Jerry

#25 Post by Jerry » Wed May 01, 2019 11:03 am

Yes, it forms the back of the forward berth. The 17 really likes to carry weight there- NOT under the cockpit.

kingco

#26 Post by kingco » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Hi Jerry,
I'm slowly optimizing my Sagecat for my sailing purposes. I just finished installing a basic electrical system much like the one that Dave Scobie installed on a sage 15 while he was working for them, so the battery is secured in the port side storage compartment under the v berth right next to the keel trunk. I am working on ideas for my water storage and usage. Do you recommend carrying heavy stuff like water and batteries farther forward like under the v berth on the 15 like you were suggesting for the person asking about heavy battery storage on the 17? On a side note, I have been absolutely loving my SageCat over the past several years. My wife and I just finished up our third summer of cruising in the San Juans an I'm continually learning more about making her sail as fast as possible. We had a good race up Eastsound of Orcas Island (You know, any two sailboats within sight and headed in the same general direction are racing) with a much bigger cruising boat. I can't claim that I won, but I learned a lot over those miles about coaxing upwind speed and pointing ability out of the cat rig and was proud of how well we were able to hang with the other boat over more than 7 miles of straight upwind sailing.

Jerry

#27 Post by Jerry » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:41 pm

Yes, I'd put water and a battery under the fwd berth. Maybe the batt on one side, and the water on the other. Keeping the weight low is important. When cruising, the only significant weight under the cockpit is the anchor and rode. I'd keep it in a box, and usually serve it right from the cockpit rather than going fwd.. Only after setting it would I go fwd and cleat it. When retrieving the anchor, I'd run over the line so I can get it from the cockpit, so I can be at the tiller when pulling it up. I'd dump the line right in the cockpit, then put the anchor itself (and chain) into the box, which is still under the cockpit locker, then the line on top.

Have fun.

kingco

#28 Post by kingco » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:32 pm

Hello again Jerry,
I have a question about the standing rigging on my sagecat. To give you an idea about my current setup, I have the mast raked aft just a bit and the rig tension is fairly tight. The lever on the forestay is nice and snug and requires a bit of a push to get it into position to be pinned in place. I have found that when sailing off the wind in a bit of a stiff breeze the forestay will go fairly slack in gusts or when slowing down after surging down a wave (build up of apparent wind). I don't feel like the boat is being overpowered (the helm is still responsive and not overly heavy). I usually reef out of caution when I see this begin to happen but then I can find myself a bit under canvassed between gusts or when headed back upwind. Is there reason to fear of the rig coming down when the forestay goes slack? I cant tell if this is caused by the deck flexing under compression from the mast or if it is the mast bending when loaded both compressionally and from wind pressure on the sail while the boom is out to the shrouds (and thus the mast is "sideways" to the wind, in its weaker flexing direction). Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

kingco

#29 Post by kingco » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:11 pm

I also have a short video of an example of this I can email to you if that would be helpful.

Jerry

#30 Post by Jerry » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:12 pm

I think that the flex is coming from both places; part from the mast flexing and partly from the cabintop. I sailed the prototype for about 6 mo, and the most wind I had was about 15 knots with a few gusts on top of that, and there was not enough looseness in the shrouds for me to be concerned about. I made the prototype myself, and used quite a bit of carbon and an extra layer of balsa (obviously to increase the core thickness for seperation of layers), and I think it's safe to assume that Sage uses the same layup. They're good about things like that.

On the prototype I didn't use a lever on the forestay because not only do I believe in simplicity but because it's just not necessary. I simply had the shrouds adjusted so that I could place and pull the pin in the forestay with no mechanical assistance. I've raced boats with the standard 3-stay system, and they sail fastest with a bit of slop. It's hard to tell from your letter just how much looseness you have, but 2 or 3 inches of twang in the lee shroud is totally acceptable. If it gets worse than that, Sage will want to take a look at it.