Mainsail rigging

Discuss Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 17

Moderator: sal

BS1

Mainsail rigging

Postby BS1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:19 pm

I bought a 2014 Sage 17 last fall, and wasn't able to decipher how the tack of the mainsail is rigged. Is there normally a line attached to the eyestrap on the the port side of the mast, running through the tack, and secured to the jam cleat on the starboard side? OR, is the tack grommet not used, leaving luff tension to be set by Cunningham instead?

Any photos would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Barry

sal

Re: Mainsail rigging

Postby sal » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:10 pm

Hi Barry,

Welcome to our forum and congratulations on your new boat. The tack is held down with the cunningham which cleats next to the jib halyard. The cunningham is also used to adjust the luff tension. Greg was planning on sailing this weekend, we'll see if we can get him to shoot some pics?

sal

Greg the Boatbuilder

Postby Greg the Boatbuilder » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:17 pm

Hi Barry,
Sal is correct that luff tension is set by the Cunningham. I will post a photo next week as I will be sailing a sage 17 this weekend. Thanks

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:06 pm

Is there a way for users to post photos on this forum? I have a close up detail photo of the Cunningham threaded through the second eye above the mainsail tack with the sail lowered. When I was learning to rig our Sage 17 ("driveway sailing") I took detailed photos of the process until it all became more routine. Those files turned out to be a pretty neat seat-of-the-pants owner's manual. Sailing these boats is always a kick, even while I'm learning from mistakes...SMALL mistakes.
Steve Launi

Return to “Sage 17”