light breezes

Talk all things pocket cruiser.

Moderator: sal

Stephen

light breezes

#1 Post by Stephen » Thu May 30, 2019 6:17 pm

I've not noticed much enthusiasm (or anything else) for the Sage 17 on this Forum lately. So here goes: I am loving this boat! I just came home from multi- days single handing on Lake Pleasant in everything from moderate gusty winds to dead calm, at the end of an abbreviated season on my part. So I suppose I'm appreciating it a little more I'll admit. I couldn't ask for a more seaworthy, lively, yet forgiving pocket cruiser in all weathers and conditions. And she's a great learning boat. I do have a question for anyone: I like to launch or up-anchor early in the morning in relative calm. I've noticed this before on inland lakes, but when there is absolutely no wind; that is to say the surface is oily smooth and flat, sails are completely slack, no current or water disturbance of any kind, and there is no variation on the surface in any direction out to the horizon; the boat still moves. This goes on continuously long after motoring, or if no motoring has occurred. The hull moves forward slowly in line with the keel, and answers the rudder as well even though slowly. There is never any side drift or drifting to stern. Does anyone else have this happen, or know why it happens? The boat just seems eager to go. It's a little creepy, but I like it.
Any ideas would be appreciated, and NO! I am not under a psychiatrist's care.

Dale

Re: light breezes

#2 Post by Dale » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:28 am

Indeed Stephen, she’s a magical little boat, I’m loving mine too!

noel

#3 Post by noel » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Sailing the S15 on L. Superior. One day last week winds went from light (F2) to calm before picking back up. From light chop to ripples to glass. Hard to tell if there was any movement. GPS noted sog from 0 to fraction of a knot. Log noted I was stationary for only +1 minute over the hours sailed. The calm lasted +30 minutes. Vela seems easily drift downwind under extreme light air. A breeze that’s barely felt. Guessing a light undetected puff or seiche effect causing the slight drift. Is L. Pleasant a reservoir? If so, maybe the outflow is causing a slight undetected current. Sometimes a seiche up here will occur in dead calm conditions. It will pull or push in floating things. Like a tide would.

sal

#4 Post by sal » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi Dale, Noel,

Thanx for the comments. She really is an unusual little yacht.

sal