Flathead Lake MT

Announce and discuss pocket cruiser events, boat shows, get togethers and small boat happenings.

Moderator: sal

ndorf

Flathead Lake MT

Postby ndorf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:19 am

First of all, apologies for improperly posting this message in Dave's Havasu thread. My bad. Starting a new thread here to explore interest in the subject.

Becky and I have been thinking about a weeklong summer sailing adventure to Flathead Lake, MT. If not in 2014, maybe 2015. Depends upon how my fortunes (or lack thereof) go as we get into next year.

Looks like an absolutely beautiful place, a great sailing lake, and lots to do on land as well. Cabins and larger homes for rent, lakeside, with mountain & lakeview decks and private docks. Bigfork area probably first choice. A quaint "Western" town with character, things to do and see, restaurants. I'm thinking probably July or August, but maybe late June.

Drive up Sat & Sun, stay Mon-Fri, then drive home the following Sat & Sun. Sail when you want, kick back and relax when you want. There are a number of launching ramps, but imagine being able to walk out from your cabin right to your boat...

If sufficient interest a 6 bd 5 ba home with dock and many amenities can be had and shared and a fun party atmophere with an opportunity for group dinners either in or out on the town. Smaller rustic cabins also available.

Plus at least 1 day to explore Glacier National Park will be a must.

In my college days I used to organize Mammoth Mountain ski weekends that way. Get 6-12 people together, split the cost on a big cabin, and have a party.

Further brainstorming welcome...

Neil

scoob

Postby scoob » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 am

another bonus ... Flathead is home port for two Sage 17's!
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Sage Marine Sales and Promotion

:: “Integrity is being good, even if no one is watching”™
::
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

Sea Sprite

Postby Sea Sprite » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Flathead Lake looks very interesting- I've been looking at various aspects of it from afar. Actually checking it out could be a good thing. ;)

ndorf

Postby ndorf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:28 pm

Bernard,

I think it would be a real kick.

Check out, just for example, this rustic cabin:

http://www.vrbo.com/499649

Too small for a large group, and it's on the West side of the lake, so sunrise views but no sunset. But there are many more properties available for several days to a week for rent.

Imagine admiring your Monty from the wooden deck, and then casually walking down to your own dock for an impromptu sail.

I might even bring a fishing pole and try and hook some lake trout.

I'm just thinkin', doesn't get any better :-)

Sea Sprite

Postby Sea Sprite » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:09 pm

ndorf wrote:I'm just thinkin', doesn't get any better :-)

Indeed!

Will have to see how things are looking if/as plans begin to solidify. :)

Return to “Events and Rendezvous”