Sage 17 shows her light air talents

Announce and discuss pocket cruiser events, boat shows, get togethers and small boat happenings.

Moderator: sal

scoob

Sage 17 shows her light air talents

Postby scoob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:47 pm

Today's HPCC boating event was a light-wind three-leg race. Three fleets were assigned - over 21' (A), 17-21' (B) and <17' (C). Sage 17 raced in the B-class. Starts were staggered: 10AM A-class, 10:10AM B-class and 10:20AM C-class.

Jerry chose the 150 genoa for the headsail and we had a great start. Only a couple of boats were better and Jerry was keeping a close eye on Mark Milam's Alerion Catboat 19.

Half way on the upwind leg we were ahead of the B-fleet. By the turn we had caught a third of the A-fleet.

Downwind we set the genoa on a pole to port and the main to starboard. A wind puff came through and the boats hit the highest speeds of the race. By the downwind mark we were in the middle of the A-fleet.

The final upwind leg was a really a drifter. Jerry made good strategic decisions and we crossed the finish line only five minutes behind the lead A-fleet boats!

The attachment proud jerry.JPG is no longer available

The final results will be announced Sunday evening during the closing ceremonies.
Attachments
proud jerry.JPG
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Sage Marine Sales and Promotion

:: “Integrity is being good, even if no one is watching”™
::
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

scoob

Postby scoob » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:19 pm

Sage 17 crossing the starting line -

sage crosses the line.JPG

Downwind leg -

sage crosses the line.JPG
Attachments
downwind leg.JPG
--

:: Dave Scobie
:: Sage Marine Sales and Promotion

:: “Integrity is being good, even if no one is watching”™

::

:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

Proof

Postby Proof » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:16 am

Nice. How is the 17 holding up to races today? I noticed this was in 2011, so I am sure people have other boats that might be faster? Do you all still race and if so do you think you will be altering the boat to keep up with other racers? It doesn't sound like you need to, but just out of curiosity.

Return to “Events and Rendezvous”