Centerboard lock?

Discuss Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 17

Moderator: sal

kingco

Centerboard lock?

#1 Post by kingco » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:51 pm

Hello all,
This may have been covered elsewhere in this forum but I have searched and not found a direct answer to the question. Is there any way to secure the centerboard of the S 17 in the down position? I realize that the boat is not designed with the intent of blue water work, but being able to secure it down (preferably only enough to support its own weight in the event of a knockdown beyond 90 degrees) would seem like a good safety feature even in coastal or inland waterways in the event of a squall so the 120 lb board wouldn't crash back into its trunk and damage or hole the boat. Anybody have any knowledge of such a securing device or a way to modify the boat for that purpose?

scoob

#2 Post by scoob » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:09 pm

the only effective way to lock the centerboard would be to create a pin that can be installed once the boat is in the water ... meaning you swim under the boat to install the pin. this is because the design of the keel is to contain most of the board and this is why the cabin in open as it is not 'intruded' by a trunk.

with all of Jerry's designs i've not heard of there being a problem with the board during a knockdown; this includes the 180# cast iron board on the older Montgomery 17s and the 300+# board on the Montgomery 23.

the centerboard trunk in the M15, M17, M23 and Sage 17 are surrounded by the keel's lead ballast. a 'breakthrough' would require the keel ballast of the boat to be broken out.
--
:: Dave Scobie
::
::
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

kingco

#3 Post by kingco » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks for the description Dave. That does sound like a very robust structure surrounding the CB.