hummmmmmmmmmmmm

A hypothetical boat design that Jerry is 'playing with'.
catsailor

hummmmmmmmmmmmm

#1 Post by catsailor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:35 pm

U bored Jerry :)

I know a bunch of ur buddy Geoff Prindles cats were 8 ft 6 inches on the beam, nobody ever pulled us over on the hwy but a big hunkering boat is a different story.

U want me to tell u what I hated about my P21 :)

HOBBY horsing when you get smacked by short chop on the Chesapeake bay. That flat bottom hull on a P21 rode up the wave and smacked it down hard. Fix that problem Jerry :)

Sail'D

#2 Post by Sail'D » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:53 pm

I'd like to see it 7' 6" - 8' 0" it is hard enough to see around my Mac 25 going around Arkansas curves. For catsailor and Jerry, I think that having the weight dispersed fore and aft (not all at the keel/db) helps in that area by slowing its responce to floatation and inertia.
I may be the only one but of course I'd like to see the Sage 17 hull extended aft to make her 21' with a fairly narrowing transom. Have the cabin interior scooted back 6" - 1" and the companion way scooted back not more than 1' 6" and the cockpit about the same general size but have another small mast at the back of the cockpit. (This could be a crutch to raise the main's mast). Very little freeboard back there. Sheet rigging back there also serving as boarding ladder hand holds/banister!
Of course if you favored the narrower version of designs, then a small swing out outrigger somewhere about the chainplate vicinity with a slightly weighted articulating db wing shape. And have the lee side rotate 90 degrees to make it a hydrofoil and the windward side as a lifting keel. A nice little cocked spring could be preset to make the changes without helmsman attention during the tacking and could be recocked any time during the next tack and in standby. For me light and fairly shallow draft is my choice. I know you'll make a nice sailboat no matter what exact personal preference market you wish to appeal to!!!

4CE

what is the point

#3 Post by 4CE » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Was this not an exercise in futility....a distraction...he scoob doing? Beats the boogers out of me...

Dumber still was my commenting at all about a 21....you makes me wonder

Wheres the continuity....leadership...whos driving the ship

scoob

#4 Post by scoob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:46 pm

sorry you feel there is no continuity here 4CE ... but the market, Sage Marine, nor Jerry, sleeps. i am usually falling asleep thinking about boats, customers, improvements, tasks for the next day, week, month, year. i woke up this morning at 4am ... tried to sleep a bit more and was up at 5:15am. in the shop at 745a ... left at 6p (this is early for going home).

Jerry gets questions about boats all the time. some surface more publicly than others due to interest and repeated comment (both on and off forums). we talk/email about 'goings on'. some things end up in a Small Craft Advisor article .. others get put back on the shelf for later review.

we at Sage Marine feel we must look beyond the horizon in order to continue building the best pocket cruisers available using a mix of traditional design with modern 'twists'.

a discussion of a 21' foot boat can provide improvement to current boats and the possibility of a 21' boat.

Sage 17 is a beginning, not an end. she will never be 'finished'. the boats improve with each order, build and delivery. the owners, and owners to be, have some great ideas! each Sage 17 is special in her own way ... both how she is like her sisters AND different. this 'Sage Marine' and the Sage line of boats will be a continued process involving the pocket cruiser trailer sailor community.

Sage 15 and SageCat are 'continuations' of the steps Sage 17 started. similar approaches with some differences ... maybe radical changes. the building of the hull has started and a new boat will be the result.

What comes next???
--
:: Dave Scobie
::
::
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

4CE

#5 Post by 4CE » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am

Scoob...no questions here 'bout your sched'...I don't , however share the view..."a discussion of a 21' foot boat can provide improvement to current boats and the possibility of a 21' boat."

Different boat by 'use' altogether from 17' much less 15'...underbodies, cabin, storage etc etc..

Given 17' Sage is underway(being built and sold) "tweaking" is just that tweaking not a redesign

As for the 15' sagecat...is there really a discussion amongst the design team to explore a discussion of a 21 and that it will help improve the concept, design and build ?!!... if so...then the 15' boat is a very very long way from build & sell and disappointing

4CE

#6 Post by 4CE » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:07 am

FOCUS...Daniel-sun...FOCUS....very impotant

catsailor

I am lost now

#7 Post by catsailor » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 am

I dont get ur reponse to scoob, Jerry started the thread in a way to get opinions on what to improve on a 21 footer. I told him my opinions based on owning and sailing a P21 (a rather nice boat btw). So lets keep these guys focused on SageCat for the near future...cause I am not going back to a 21footer.

4CE

#8 Post by 4CE » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:44 pm

catsailor

Perhaps I can offer clarity- Yes...focusing on the sagecat is exactly the point...made with some 'editorial pausing'....

...scoob said ""a discussion of a 21' foot boat can provide improvement to CURRENT boats(17&15) and the possibility of a 21' boat""...

YOU CAN'T DEVELOPE THE SAGECAT WITH A DISCUSSION OF A 21' BOAT nor redesign the SAGE 17 no matter how you slice it

4CE

#9 Post by 4CE » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:03 pm

I had be looking forward to some progress on the Sage 15(Sagecat)...now seriously disappointed I'm moving on...happy trails... ummm ...sails

Thanks ALL
4CE

Jerry

#10 Post by Jerry » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:33 pm

Anyone for discussing the fiscal cliff for awhile?
--
Jerry Montgomery - Designer of the Sage 17
Founder - Montgomery Marine Products (M-dinks, M15, M17 and M23)
Montgomery Rigging - http://jerrymontgomery.org/