The Montgomery Panther

Discussion about the boats Jerry Montgomery created: sailing, maintenance, repair and renovation.
scoob

The Montgomery Panther

#1 Post by scoob » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:50 pm

over the years Jerry has mentioned one of his rare dinks - the 'Panther'

an owner of a Panther has been found and she has taken a few photos (click on image for a larger version) -
cockpit.jpg
cockpit.jpg
Attachments
bow.jpg
--
:: Dave Scobie
::
::
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

Sea Sprite

#2 Post by Sea Sprite » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:03 am

nice looking deck. Tooling for this boat still hiding somewhere?

sal

#3 Post by sal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:17 pm

That's a good question. Jerry?

sal

Jerry

#4 Post by Jerry » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:40 pm

No, I destroyed the tooling when I moved from S CA to Sacramento in '87. I wish I still had it; I know a heck of a lot more now about making ultra light boats (vacuumed carbon/foam, etc) and it could be made to about a hundred pounds instead of the 140 as before.

In my column for the pending issue of SCA I mentioned the Panther and told some things about it- don't need to repeat them here. it was lightning fast and could give a Hobie 14 a real good race.
--
Jerry Montgomery - Designer of the Sage 17
Founder - Montgomery Marine Products (M-dinks, M15, M17 and M23)
Montgomery Rigging - http://jerrymontgomery.org/

rnowak

#5 Post by rnowak » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Jerry,
Not sure what you mean by "tooling" for the boat. Do you have the tube you mentioned that I need to control the mast pivot? If not, what are the dimensions so I can have one made? Where on the boom does the tube attach? Any other rigging information you can provide would be most helpful as we have been just trying to figure it out as we go along! Thanks so much!
Rhonda (Panther owner)

Jerry

#6 Post by Jerry » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:57 am

Rhonda, I've sent you two emails over the last month with all these details. I don't have the tubes as it's been 35 years since I made the Panther. It's a stainless tube, 1/2" in diameter, about 16" long. You can see where it goes by the holes in the mast. You can see where the control line goes by the fairlead and clamcleat on the boom.

Tooling as a noun means the molds; tooling as a verb means the making of the molds.
--
Jerry Montgomery - Designer of the Sage 17
Founder - Montgomery Marine Products (M-dinks, M15, M17 and M23)
Montgomery Rigging - http://jerrymontgomery.org/

rnowak

#7 Post by rnowak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks for your reply, Jerry. I haven't received either of the emails you mention in your posting, though. You might have the wrong email address. I will have the tube made and hopefully be back on the water soon!
Rhonda