Trailer tongue extension modification?

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

noel

Trailer tongue extension modification?

#1 Post by noel » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:26 am

Right at the edge for launching without the tongue being extended. Got lazy couple sessions ago. Should of got back in the truck and backed down ~1ft. End result was Vela’s bottom side as it floated off the trailer bumped into the back end of the extension. Light bump. Just scuffed the gel coat.

Wondering if sliding the extension ~1.5-2 feet out and drill two new holes in the extension insert to line up with the existing tongue holes is ok. Something I would consider if you can drive at highway speeds with the additional 1.5-2 feet extended?

Would be a nice factory option for the trailer if you can drive safely with it partially extended. Anyone with a 24ft deep garage could still park it. Those with 20ft would need to add one step in hitching and unhitiching their boat.

TazKristi

Re: Trailer tongue extension modification?

#2 Post by TazKristi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi, noel:
I'm not the right person to answer your question but, I wanted you to know that we've seen it. ;) I'll follow up and get you the answer that you need. Thanks much for your patience.

Kristi

sal

Re: Trailer tongue extension modification?

#3 Post by sal » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:55 am

Hi Noel,

The trailer has to be low enough in the water to clear that extension tip. I think you could mod that 18" - 24" without a problem. Probably would be a good option for us to drill the extra holes.

sal