SageCat 15 update

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

dreamer

#41 Post by dreamer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:04 am

Will there be a mechanism for the locking the daggerboard in place, in case of turning turtle?

scoob

#42 Post by scoob » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:04 am

dreamer wrote:Will there be a mechanism for the locking the daggerboard in place, in case of turning turtle?
absolutely! with the 200lb bulb on that daggerboard you want it locked in place ... and she will not turn turtle.
--
:: Dave Scobie
::
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

sal

#43 Post by sal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Dreamer,

Welcome to our forum and thanx for dropping in.

sal

4CE

#44 Post by 4CE » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:39 pm

Appreciate the responses ..Sal and Dave and Jerry

Hopefully you'll have some updated photos and perhaps some mock-ups of the interior.
These bones would like a lazy-bones cabin...ie a Lazy-Boy chair/bed on a swivel...dreams can come true

4CE

kingco

#45 Post by kingco » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Dave, Sal, or Jerry, on the sage cat (or any boat built with safety and seaworthiness in mind) it would seem that being able to quickly and easily reef the main from the cockpit would be a huge benefit. Do you think that on this type of rig that some sort of mast track bearing type system would be beneficial or necessary? I've heard of a few (harken batt cars, etc) and seen a few on smaller rotating mast rigs (Multi32 trimaran) and they seem to make raising, lowering and reeding the main in stronger breezes much easier. Do you guys have a particular mast track slider system in mind for this rig or is this type of system overkill (or prohibitively expensive or heavy) for such a small mast and sail?

scoob

#46 Post by scoob » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:46 pm

kingco wrote:it would seem that being able to quickly and easily reef the main from the cockpit would be a huge benefit.
for the SageCat all lines will run to the cockpit.
kingco wrote:Do you guys have a particular mast track slider system in mind
the two mast sections we are considering have a slot/groove as part of the extrusion. the slot/groove will work with either bolt rope or slugs (see below).

an added track, like used on some larger mast sections, would add unnecessary weight and money (for the track and labor to install) ... which we are wanting to avoid to make the boat super super easy to rig and keep the Sage 15 boats lower cost (NOT lower quality).
kingco wrote:I've heard of a few (harken batt cars, etc)
mast for the SageCat and the Sage15 sloop are way to small for cars.

for sure the SageCat will have slugs and a MastGate to hold the slugs in place. we are already talking with Tom, the owner/creator of MastGate, in developing the standing rigging for the S15s.

the sloop it will not be a problem to work at the mast as it can be done standing in the companionway, so at this time we are considering either a bolt rope feeder (bolt rope luffed main) or slugs during sea trials we with pick one or the other as being standard.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: my boat's www-site - http://www.m17-375.webs.com

Kim

#47 Post by Kim » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:52 am

scoob wrote:for sure the SageCat will have slugs and a MastGate to hold the slugs in place. we are already talking with Tom, the owner/creator of MastGate, in developing the standing rigging for the S15s.
Hi, Scoob.

This is really good news! The MastGate is a genius device that really makes single-handing a breeze. Used it, loved it! Seems like every time a new bit of news is revealed about the SageCat, it's reason to get more excited about it.

Kim

Meritt

#48 Post by Meritt » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:11 pm

sal wrote:Hi Meritt,

Welcome to our forum.

I'm in the Sea Sprite camp as well, or as Bernard (Sea Sprite) put it: "I like to pull ropes". Jerry is in the Cat camp. "I want to go fast, but I don't want to work that hard"). We (Jerry, Dave, Matt, Gail and me) had many discussions on the design of this boat for probably a year before we pulled the trigger and Jerry began the design. It's been in the oven a long time and we believe it will be a very unique sailing craft.

We believe that the pocket and micro cruisers are going to have a renaissance over the next decade. We'll see more offerings, more variety, wider price ranges, more gatherings, etc. We also have an excellent resource in "Small Craft Advisor". "Sail" Magazine and "Cruising World" magazine are beginning to notice the trailer sailers. It's an exciting time to be a small boat sailor.

What kind of boat are you sailing now?

sal
This is one great looking boat! The cockpit looks cozy for two, the house looks large and I'm lovin the big daggerboard. I enjoyed my American Sail 14.6 and have shown several folks the joys of sailing too but this S15 will have so much more stability. I like the sloop the best because the cockpit is less obstructed without the main sheet in the cockpit and besides I like to trim the jib too. I've not had much input in the forum since I'm somewhat of a new sailor but my hope is that the rig stays simple. Personally, I think the sloop doesn't need a rotating mast or boom-tender type thing, that's just my .02. I'll have to get used to the aft main sheeting but I'm excited about being able to sail more relaxed with a friend and even stay overnight in the cabin thanks to the 200lb ballasted daggerboard and carbon fiber deck. This is a unique package that I've been looking for. I'm sorry my M15 was not to be but it's actually a good thing that it wasn't. I'm patiently waiting for the details on the S15 as they come out. Great job Jerry and you Sage guys, my deposit is forthcoming.

ferdjohns

#49 Post by ferdjohns » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:32 pm

Dave

So you must have let Jerry out of the hull & plug long enough to do pretty darn well in the Wrinkleboat Series races. As you did. Glad he's staying in racing shape. But I assume you have boarded him back up in there with a decent supply of beer and grub, eh?

Ferd

Sailer

#50 Post by Sailer » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:56 pm

Winded wrote:Sal,

Please bear with me as I'm new to maneuvering around a forum. I've been impressed with the Sage 17 since it came out but was really thrilled to see the 15 with the cat rig especially after reading "Why I Don't Want a Jib on My Little Boat" in issue 87 of Small Craft Advisor. I like tweaking sail shape as much as the next guy but can only imagine my life without all the extra sheets, cleats, hanks, downhauls etc. Not to mention reducing the risk of having to go forward to handle the sail. Also, the 15 is a cat boat with performance in mind as opposed to the beamy older cat boats with the barn door rudders, nice.

I like Compac's attempts at reducing time spent at the launch and don't suggest you replicate their ideas but perhaps improve upon them. When lowering the mast (most usually by myself) I think about how nice it would be to have a nice wide boom (mast) crutch to drop it onto. Your concept on stowing the mast with the 17, although functional, seems time consuming and difficult for a single hander. Having to remove the rudder head (the blade maybe) and install a mast crutch that is only as wide as the mast that sits in it looks like an area that could be improved upon to me.

I realize this is YOUR design but I think it speaks volumes about your approach to boat building that you would consider the concerns of the end user. I feel honored to be included and wish you much success.

Fred
I share with you the same idea of simplicity in sailing for fun, I think that there is a big difference between sailing for race and sailing for relax. In racing, the more control lines, sails and sheets the better performance results. But for relaxing the less control lines and sheets the less tension and the better relaxing results. Just main sheet and a tiller, no need to clutter the sailboat with ropes coming from everywhere to fight for that one or half knote of speed. It would be awesome to have a system that lets the rig stay on the boat where it is like the mastender or with some better idea so that no need to dismantle the sail and stow it in the cabin. How about an in-boom reefing that keeps the sail protected inside and folds with the mast on the boat while trailered. After all, if the setup time is 15 minutes as targeted then it's already an excellent time.