SageCat 15 update

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

catsailor

SageCat 15 update

#1 Post by catsailor » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Hey Sal/Dave,
Where are u guys on the build status. Will u be sailing a prototype boat in January as I think this was the timeline. Heck I figure Sal wanted us to post :) . Thanks catsailor

sal

#2 Post by sal » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:08 am

Hi Catsailor,

Hope you and yours had a pleasant Thanksgiving.

On the S15; Jerry is still working on the deck. He's changed the shape of the deck house several times already. We appreciate his skill and believe that he wil continue to refine until he feels it's "right". that's what happened with the S17 development and the result works very well. Probably one of the best, if not the best pocket yacht in it's class. The downside is that it is taking longer than planned/hoped. Jerry said he would get some pictures to us soon.

I do appreciate your posting. We've got quite a few "lurkers" and we would like more activity. That's why we began the blog.

In our strategic Planning Meeting, one of the questions was timing on the S15 and "early announcement" issues.

The hull is the most critical for safety and performance, and the hull mold is finished, which was the most time consuming. Once Jerry is finished with the deck mold and liner, we'll probably bring it all to Golden to build the proto here. Jerry's working on the rig as well.

sal

ferdjohns

#3 Post by ferdjohns » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:18 pm

The hull looked great at Annapolis. I'm very glad Jerry is taking his time to get the deck, cabin furniture and cabin trunk right. If the cockpit is as good or better than the M15, and two cranky old 6'+ men with creaky knees can comfortably sit, s--t, and sleep below, I'll be pulling into Golden to pick one up. It is definitely a really tight fit to do all that in 15' without cramping the cockpit. Quite the challenge. My SunCat does all that (headroom is a tad shy for comfortable sitting below) while looking pretty good, but it is slow and 16'-8"' x 7'-3"!

Ferd

Kim

#4 Post by Kim » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:43 pm

Thanks for the update, Sal. You commented on liking "more activity" on the forum. I'd suggest that more frequent activity from your end will spark more conversation from your fans. I visit this forum every day or two looking for new activity, usually by scanning the entry dates. If there is nothing new to read, I just move on (usually with a big SIGH!) So let us in on what's going on a little more often. I'll bet you'll hear from more from the lurkers.

I agree with ferdjohns that Jerry has quite a challenge before him getting the deck/cabin configuration right without cramping the cockpit. We all have faith in his ability to accomplish it, but we're scratching our heads trying to figure out how he's going to do it!!! I'm another one of those cranky old 60+ men with poor flexibility looking forward to seeing his solution.

Throw us a bone every so often, Sal. I'm sure you'll get comments and opinions. The excitement is building. :-)

Kim

sal

#5 Post by sal » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi Kim,

Thanx much for the suggestion. Will do my bst.

Jerry is still making changes to the deck plug. Since we last showed dwgs, he lowered the front of the deck house and made it a few inches longer. As I understand, he's still trying to fit in seating. So he shortened the cockpit by a few inches. He's trying to fit in seats like the Sage 17, though they will be a little narrower. The Sage 17 seats are large, wide and comfortable, so I believe they will still work on the S15.

Ferd sent us some great dwgs of possible solutions and I'm sure Jerry is weighing the differences. Part of the "plan" is to try to keep the 15 very affordable, without sacrificing the quality in carbon and hardware, and still make eveything in the US.

Since there is no centerboard, the cockpit will drain out the rear like the M17. Jerry wants to make the deck/cockpit meet the stern so the drainage can be done without the need for a hose or pipe.

The potti will fit under the cockpit and will slide forward for access. The design will fit a normal size, but I imagine anyone could adjust to another style. There will be a slight rise in the front of the cockpit sole to accomodate the potti. The cockpit will certainly be plenty large enough for 2 adults but probably not large enough for 4 adults. (If you plan on sailing with 4, I would probably try to steer you to the S17).

Jerry is a cranky old 6'+ with rickety knees, so he'' make it work for him.

You're not the only one waiting. I've already named mine.

sal

Kim

#6 Post by Kim » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:34 am

Great update, Sal. No sighing today when visiting this thread. ;-)

Don't think that I would want more than two slightly overweight (!!) geezers in the cockpit at one time on a small, light boat, so no problem there. I've been on an M-15, so I am wondering how the length of the two cockpits compare. It would help to visualize the SageCat cockpit.

I appreciate a reasonably functional cabin, but let's face it, the SageCat will be a daysailer and we will spend 98% of our time in the cockpit. Just guessing that the cabin headroom will be slightly less than sitting, maybe slouching? Worried that trying to fit too much in there will make it more difficult to move around. I had a Capri 16 once. Loved sailing that boat, but God, it was as hard to move about inside that cabin as it was to get into it in the first place!!

Keep the reports coming -- even if it's only a few lines. As one forumite, I appreciate it. Hoping that a few others chime in. Thanks.

Kim

4CE

#7 Post by 4CE » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:42 am

SageCat-cabin... Chair-Bed

My bones would prefer a Lazy Boy rocker...perhaps one could be re-engineered...then again whats the expense

So why not a convertible Chair bed (attempting to attach photos),
Chair Bed (2).jpg
Chair Bed (2).jpg (2.44 KiB) Viewed 3490 times
Chair Bed (2).jpg
Chair Bed (2).jpg
Dimensions:
Chair - 35” deep, 31” wide, 28” high

Bed - 9” high, 31” wide, 76” long

Several positions, a chaise with angled back rest, a bed and a chair.
No sure the size works though.

Two chairs ...one port one starboard facing aft.

link-
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ne ... archidx=47
Attachments
Chair Bed.jpg
Chair Bed.jpg (2.19 KiB) Viewed 3489 times
Chair Bed (1).jpg
Chair Bed (1).jpg (2.21 KiB) Viewed 3493 times

sal

#8 Post by sal » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi 4CE,

Thanx much.

We'll discuss it and also get Jerry's comments.

sal

Winded

#9 Post by Winded » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:33 pm

Gentlemen,

As a trailer sailor (and this being a likely candidate for that category) has any thought been given to ease of rigging? I'm interested in the Cat rigged 15 for that reason especially. Compac has been the only company I'm aware of that has tried to reduce time spend at the launch rigging the boat. I may or not use the bunk or the porta-potti but for darn sure I'm going to rig it when I get to the lake. BTW it sure looks good so far and the 17 is a winner all the way around. Any thoughts about offering a Cat rig for the 17?

Keep up the good work,

Fred Rappley

Kim

#10 Post by Kim » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi, Fred. I couldn't agree with you more, and it's not just about raising the mast. Com-Pac's rigging leaves the mainsail on the boom, which is a timesaver. I asked about the cat rig on the 17 a while ago on that forum and Jerry commented that it is quite possible. That's probably a ways down the road, though.

Kim