Jib reefing?

Discuss the Jerry Montgomery designed pocket cruiser SAGE 15 (sloop) and SageCat (catboat version of the Sage 15)

Moderator: sal

noel

Jib reefing?

#1 Post by noel » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:13 am

Article by Larry Brown on the msog.org site comparing the M15 and ComPac16. He noted that the M15 he sailed owned by Georgeana Porton had jib reefing points.

Questions:
1. Would you need a working jib made of heavier material than the stock model?
2. Could not find any online info regarding a non-furl jib reefing system that would not require going forward. Not going forward during harsh condtions is why I would consider jib reefs. Is there a relatively simple way of rigging a system to run to the cockpit?
3. Waste of time? Set a 2nd reef and drop the jib in a blow? S15 under light to moderate (<F5) sails well under main alone. Not sure under double reef conditions.

I did purchase a storm jib with the S15. Sailing single-hand it needs to be hanked on before leaving the dock. Too much of a chicken to venture forward unless absolutely necessary in heavy seas.

sal

Re: Jib reefing?

#2 Post by sal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am

Hi Noel,

Have you used your storm jib?

sal

noel

Re: Jib reefing?

#3 Post by noel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:05 am

Not yet. Was going to head out with the storm sail rigged to see how Vela handles with a full main and if winds picked up with a single reef in the main. Autumn winds were extreme. Either no wind or gale-storm force. Sailing season ended suddenly. Went from 🍂 to 🥶 over night. Next Spring.

Simple is usually better. Hopefully the storm sail even under single reef conditions is the better(simpler) option. Less lines to confuse me😄.